by Kathy Householder, On The Move Organizing, Marietta, GA
NAPO Moving & Relocation Special Interest Group leader and NAPO Golden Circle member
Let’s face it, moving is stressful! Everyone either has moved or knows someone that has moved, and very few people would consider it a pleasant experience. One of the most
dreaded tasks is unpacking. Doing it yourself seems like a good idea and a real money-saver, but more often than not, you have unopened boxes in your garage or basement months (and sometimes, years) after you move. You’re busy with work and family on a “normal” day, so how in the world are you going to find the time to put all of your things away? Wouldn’t it be great if you could walk out of your house the day after the move and know that ALL of your belongings are perfectly placed and the mess is gone? Believe it or not, there are professional organizers who offer unpacking services, reducing the stress of transitioning to your new home.
Image credit: Boxes 1 by Avi
What does an unpacking service do?
- Unwraps all your items and unpacks all your boxes
- Notes anything that is broken during the move so you can get any claims started with the movers
- Wipes out cabinets and shelving as needed
- Puts away all of your items in a practical and organized manner. Having a home for everything.
- Makes beds, puts up shower curtains, adjusts clocks, arranges furniture, if needed
- Arranges closets to look like your favorite boutique
- Flattens boxes and organizes packing material in the garage or other area for movers to pick up
How do they know where everything goes?
Most un-packers are Professional Organizers. They unpack for a living and have many hours of experience with solutions and also work closely with the homeowner to make determinations depending on the clients.
What’s the cost for an unpacking service?
Prices vary depending on the size of the home. Estimates can be provided and they can work within any budget. Depending on the size of the move, many homes can be unpacked in a day.
Why should I hire an unpacking service?
- Using an unpacking service is particularly helpful when you have a limited amount of time off from work, or you have to start a new job very soon after your move.
- After completing the packing on your own, you dread the thought of facing all those boxes and where to put everything.
- You have enough to handle with establishing new routines for your family, especially if you have young children at home, or in school.
- Hiring an unpacking service eliminates the pressure you feel to be settled into your new home quickly.
Before your next move, talk to a professional organizer who specializes in moving and relocation services to see if unpacking service is right for you; it may be money well spent!